Thursday, May 31, 2007

I have a felony record

One of my HS friends (unbeknownst to myself and a couple of other guys) was a pathological thief. Crazy stupid - breaking into houses of EIU students and stealing all sort of everything for several months.

He was storing the stuff in a shed out on his dad's farm property while he was trying to fence it.

So during Christmas break of my freshman year at U of I, myself and my dumb-ssa friends (including the guy mentioned above) decided it would be fun to steal a bunch of holiday decorations from people's homes and then use them to crazy-decorate the house of some girl one of my friends was dating.

About a week after this, the house breaking-in friend gets busted, comes clean to us, and asks us to help him get rid of all the junk in his shed. The most monumentally stupid decision of my life followed next. I agreed to do just that. Myself and a couple of other guys basically threw about $3000 worth of stuff off a bridge into a creek.

His eventual thank you to us was dropping dime on our little escapade as well as ratting out our Christmas decoration caper.

The DA had a hard-on for us (one of my friend's dad was the Superintendent of the school district) and basically told us to cop a plea to felony theft or she would push for jail time.

So 2 years of probation and 200 hours of community service (fire truck washing) later, I had paid my debt to society and had a felony record to show for my efforts.

Thank you. *Takes a bow*

No comments: