Friday, March 31, 2006

Question about stereotypes and their accuracy.

I think we would agree that generally, stereotypes are pretty dumb generalizations. But what stereotypes do you find, from your life experiences, turn out to be more accurate than others?

Example: When I'm driving on campus, and I see someone doing a stupid (even for campus driving) maneuver, I say to myself, "please don't be Asian, PLEASE don't be Asian" so as not to reinforce a negative stereotype in my head.

And unfortunately, when I look, at least 80% of the time they turn out to be Asian.

Any stereotypes you've come across that are true more than you would like them to be?

And please don't say "loud Indians."

3 comments:

Chintan K. Amin said...

sorry

Anonymous said...

LOL awesome

Anonymous said...

One stereotype that is nearly 100 percent accurate.

Names that are comprised of a normal american name, with a random prefix added. Examples "DeShaun" or "LaWanda".

These people will almost always be black. And I only say always because I have not met every single person named using that convention. But I will say that I have never seen a person named like that who wasn't black.