Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Our yard is the Killing Field for bunnies

2009: a hawk swooped down and took out the daddy bunny, leaving in its wake of its carnage, two little bunnies and a momma bunny who had to explain to the little ones why daddy wasn't coming home that night.

2010: 4 little bunnies arrived a week or two ago. As late as yesterday afternoon, they were growing and seemed to enjoy the lettuce, carrots and celery our boys brought them each morning.

Then, something happened; something mysterious and horrible. I found two of them dead, a third was still breathing but immobile, and hungry bugs were surrounding it.

Of course, I couldn't leave it there to suffer a slow death, but I didn't know the most humane way to end its suffering.

Should I put it in the garage and turn the car on?

Should I put a little piece of plastic wrap over its head?

I still have an unused bottle of Vicodin left from a recent injury.

Perhaps end it with a small pocket knife whilst whispering, "shhh, shhhh, shhh" like in Private Ryan?

You will be happy to know that I finally did what I had to do.

RIP little fellas.

No comments: