Tuesday, May 29, 2007

So my apartment got broken into on Sunday... with me in it

Was sitting on the couch watching TV at about 12 midnight after my friends had just headed out for a quick second. All of the sudden something catches my eye in the hallway. Wasn't quite sure what it was, thought it might have been the foil hanging off of our hookah just blowing in the wind. Walk into the hallway and stair down the stairs to see a figure in the doorway that appears to be messing with our lock from inside (our apartment is on the second floor, with stairs inside leading up to it.

It was dark, so I had to let my eyes adjust, and I thought it just may have been my friend coming back in from going out. It took me a split second to realize this was not my friend and it was a 5'5" black guy messing with my door. My immediate reaction was, "DUDE GET THE EFF OUTTA HERE!" He quickly ran out the door, and I went into a side room to pick up a knife just in case that movement in the other room was another dude in the house. Turns out it wasn't and things were ok.

This is the 4th time someone has broken into an apartment at our house (it's a large house with several apartments). Problem is we can't call the cops because a friend of ours lives downstairs that let's just say dabbles A LOT in things that aren't exactly legal. Needless to say, we are hardcore locking our doors from now on and calling a locksmith.

1 comment:

Gledwood said...

Oowwwwwhhh! Narrow escape.

I know someone who got burgled as they slept. They say it's not a nice feeling.

I've got broken into while I was in. Someone was hammering at my door repeatedly at midnight. (My room door, not the front door. And I live in a "multiple-occupancy building" ... I never answer latenight knockings as they're invariably time-wasters.

2 mins later door comes flying in.

Eyes meet eyes. I didn't impale said person on anything sharp. I was restrained.

He beat a hasty retreat.