Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I lied to my wife, and still do. (About this)

Many years ago, on April Fools Day, my wife tried to play a joke on me. She had someone from her office call me at work pretending to be a worker on the new house being built next door to ours. The guy apologized to me and told me that, while working next door, he accidentally put a 2x4 through one of our windows.

I totally played along, acting upset, but not so upset that it’d give away the fact that I knew it was a joke. The guy said that he would clean up the mess and replace the window if I would just let him into the house. I agreed with him and even went so far as to drive home to let him in. When I got there, there was no broken window, of course. And there was no worker waiting for me.

I called my wife at work to ask her if she knew anything about it and they all got a big laugh. She loves telling the story. To this day, whenever a group of us are together and someone starts talking about April Fools Day jokes, she is asked to tell about the time that she totally fooled me, the unfoolable one. I’ve never had the heart to tell her any different.

No comments: